Sunday, May 17, 2015

The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom

By the author of The Five People You Meet in Heaven (which I loved), and Tuesdays with Morrie (which I haven't read, but must get around to one day), this book is about three main people: Victor, a man who wants more time; Sarah, a teenager who wants time to stop; and Dor, the first person to count and measure time.

Category:
Adult fiction

Who'll want to read it?
People who like the concept of time, and those who enjoy Mitch Albom's writing style.

Point of no return:
page 4, the last three lines of the prologue:
"Soon Father Time will be free.
To return to Earth.
And finish what he started."

Classic lines:
page 18:
Pass time. Waste time. Kill time. Lose time.
In good time. About time. Take your time. Save time.
A long time. Right on time. Out of time. Mind the time. Be on time. Spare time. Keep time. Stall for time.

page 61:
The pool of voices was formed by Dor's tears, but he was only the first to weep. As mankind grew obsessed with its hours, the sorrow of lost time became a permanent hole in the human heart.

Publisher:
Sphere

Visit Newcastle Region Library's Catalogue and Website.

3 comments:

Kieran said...

Wow, this sounds like the kind of book I'd like to read. Thanks Jo!

Unknown said...

Read this one while I was overseas on a cruise, was fantastic - I'd highly recommend! While I haven't written a review for this one, I have written reviews for several other books over on my blog.

Joanne said...

Kieran, it was really lovely. Very easy to read, too.
Stuart, we have quite similar fiction tastes! I've read all but three of the Wheel of Time series, and not sure how many Terry Pratchett books. I may have to try some of the non-fiction books you've reviewed, although I'm not a huge non-fiction reader. Most of my reading is to escape!